Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Hawaii - Maui

Mark and I took a little spur of the moment trip to Hawaii for 5 amazing days over the 4th.



About a week before the 4th Mark came home from work and said he wanted to go to Hawaii - I didn't need much convincing. One last hoo-ray before baby boy, early celebration for 3 year anniversary, before we become a one income house, and the doctor puts a damper on our traveling. The mad rush for finding hotels, cars, and activities began. Plus we had to fly standby, so no guarantees we make it. But it all worked out; we got the last 2 open spots on the flight, we found the perfect condo in Maui to rent, and we discovered the worlds best snowcone - really they were amazing.

Maui

Our days were spent in the Ocean, snorkeling - Mark's new favorite. We spent all morning swimming with sea turtles and tropical fish.

Can you see the sea turtle? We got much closer to it but he was fast, too fast to get a good shot. The next day we saw one double that size but we didn't have the camera. I loved watching it come up for air and seeing its head poke up above the water and then being able to go under water to swim next to it.
We explored the island - drank a refreshing coconut
Ate the worlds best fish taco - does Hawaii really have the "worlds best things" or does the beach and tropical island just make everything seem like the worlds best?

But seriously, grilled Mahi Mahi topped with cole slaw made with coconut milk and mango avocado salsa = amazing flavor explosion. I have craved this everyday since we left.

Watched Sunsets on the Beach


On the 4th we walked down to the beach watched the sunset and then watched all the firework shows that people were doing along the beach - It was a amazing.


Explored Lahiana - an old historic fishing/whaling town



That's where we discovered this bad boy....
A snowcone made with real fresh fruit puree. I don't think I need to emphasize "worlds best" but I will, worlds best snowcone. Oh my delicious.

Everyone claims Matsumoto's Shaved Ice in Oahu is the best - it's not - we did a taste comparison the fresh fruit shaved ice is the winner by a long shot. But more on that when I post about Oahu.

Road to Hana - craziest, turniest
(yes I made that up), windiest road. It was basically a one lane road going along a mountain side. But it was completely beautiful - you drive through rainforest and bamboo forest
Plus there is a waterfall about every other turn
And gorgeous ocean views

Along the way there was a Black Sand Beach

Black Sand? What in the world is this, it felt like sand but it was black and it turned your feet black when you walked in it.

There was also a red sand beach, but we didn't stop. The Road to Hana is gorgeous but a little warring and we were ready to go back to our white sandy beaches
We found a cave where you could watch the tide come in

The Pools of 'Ohe'o at Haleakala National Park

You normally can swim in them, but the water level was too high and they had them closed off... sad day. But we did get to hike around to a few more water falls.

Baby Boy update - 25 Weeks at the beach. ( I am now 28 weeks)
At about 21 weeks he decided to be nice and stop the nausea,sickness, and complete exhaustion. Now he is just growing and growing and likes being a crazy ninja warrior kicker. He likes the ocean, fresh mango shaved ice, and fish tacos - he also misses Hawaii

2 comments: