Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Maine


Emerson & I stayed a few days with Collette, Justin, & Darwin before Micah and Mark arrived on Thursday. The boys had a blast together, it was the first time they really interacted and just loved playing together.



 
 They always crashed hard after an afternoon playing

Once Mark arrived we took off towards the Maine Coast. Maine is absolutely gorgeous. Really, our new favorite place. It is a great mix of evergreens and deciduous trees, rocky coast, to sandy beaches, just perfect.





Collette's friends parents let us stay in their guest apartment at their home. It was right on the water and so beautiful. We were in Heaven. What an amazing place for these cousins to play - I just wish they would remember it!. We went out for lobster and fish and had a jolly old time.


 What an amazing place for these cousins to play - I just wish they would remember it!. We went out for lobster and fish and had a jolly old time.




I had had some pretty bad stomach pain for 2 days before we left for Maine, but I didn't want anything to ruin our trip so I just tried to ignore/deal with it. It started to get pretty bad Thursday night and by Friday morning I was getting light headed and almost passed out. Yeah, it was time to go in. Belfast, where we were, is a town of about 6,000. There was 1 clinic and they didn't take walk ins. I kept telling Mark it wasn't a big deal and I didn't want to pay to go the ER, it was too expensive. Well we ended up going after all when the next clinic that took walk ins was 30 mins away. I was super annoyed the whole time and just wanted to leave. Until they came back with test results and found out that I was actually pregnant, surprise. But we knew something was obviously wrong and it probably wasn't ok.  They immediately did an ultrasound and found it was an ectopic pregnancy that ruptured my tube and I was bleeding internally alot - hence the severe pain. They prepped me for surgery and off I went. It only took about an hour from coming in to go into surgery.  They removed over a half gallon of blood, yikes. So the next two days I spent in the hospital, luckily I had some cute visitors.
 

Everyone was so nice, the doctor was wonderful, extremely sensitive, and kind- the nurses always knew everything about me before they came in for their rounds and double checked and did research on all the medication I was on so I could try to keep feeding Emerson. A far cry from any other hospital or medical treatment before. So if you find yourself in need of medical emergencies, Belfast, Maine is awesome :)

But if I have to recover from having my abdomen cut open - it was really nice to do it here.  Stunning.










Emerson was in good hands with Micah, Collette, Mark, & Justin. He even had his BFF cousin Darwin to keep him occupied. They loved playing together and would just stop and grin at each other, so cute. He did amazing from going from nursing to just bottles. He did have a hard time at night not having me there, and ended up in bed with Mark, but he got lots of sleepovers with dad.

He loved playing with the grass and the leaves - this green stuff is rare in our desert home
He started this crusty pirate face - goof ball.


I felt a little better by Sunday so we ventured over to Acadia National Park. I just wish I felt well enough to hike, it was seriously so gorgeous.








But driving through was nice and we found a lovely little place at Jordan's Pond that had amazing popovers with fresh Maine Blueberry Jam. They were awesome.



Maine - until we meet again - your amazing and I want to live there


Getting home was a little stressful, mostly for Mark because I was still really sick and can't pick up Emerson. He had to figure out how to get me and Emerson through the airport and onto the plane. The flight was almost sold out and had a long stand-by list. So Mark just ended up buying me a seat so he knew I would get home. Luckily, at the last minute right before the doors closed Mark and Emerson were able to get on and they gave them seats right next to me - miracle.

1 comment:

  1. You are such a trooper.
    Sidenote: I love that your parents have these awesome grandboys to love.

    ReplyDelete