Thursday, December 1, 2011

Thanksgiving

We had a fantastic Thanksgiving here in Las Vegas with the Wixom gang. It was the first time that Mark & I did not have to travel for a holiday - which was surprisingly amazing. Traveling, especially in the winter, can be a little stressful and eats up a lot of your holiday time when half of it is spent driving. Don't read me wrong, I love Holidays with family - I will always travel to be with family for Thanksgiving and Christmas - BUT it was just an added bonus being in the same city this year.

We kicked it off with the traditional Thanksgiving morning Catch the Gobbler race. Ten years ago my dad thought it would be fun to drag us all out of bed at 5 in the morning on Thanksgiving to run this race - all of us complained, moaned, protested, and insisted we didn't go. We lost. It is now our favorite tradition!Thanks Dad. ( we have a plethora of the sweatshirts from the race and Layne is going to make a family quilt out of all of them! & someday I want to create a picture collage of all the races)

Caleb ran the 1 mile this year in less then 9 minutes - pretty impressive for a 6 year old!



Little E ran the whole 5k with Mark - We were all very impressed and Little E ended up getting 3rd place in his age division!



Mark & I


The rest of the afternoon was filled with lots of cooking, lots of cooks in the kitchen, and the end result of the most delicious Thanksgiving, yum. There was so much I didn't even get to try all the dishes before I was full. We have a great discussion on being Thankful - highlight of that discussion, Caleb claiming he was thankful for McDonalds (my mother was a little mortified :) ), Afterwards we had a relaxing evening filled with the Muppets movie and lots and lots of pie.

We ventured out for a little black friday shopping the next day - bad idea - well Target and Lowes were great, but the mall... lets just say that was not a highlight :) But we did get to go meet up at The Shark Reef with some of Marks family from Chicago that were here so that was fun.

We have so much to be grateful for and I love that we have this time of year to make us reflective and remember how truly blessed we are. Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment