I started having contractions Saturday evening. I was watching the General Women's Session of LDS General Conference while Mark and Emerson went on a dad date and started to have mild contractions that were about 10 minutes apart. That night they were getting a little closer, about 8 minutes - and little more uncomfortable while Mark and I watched a movie. I did not want to get my hopes up so I tried not to think to much about it and went to bed. Around 1:30 am I woke up and started to consistently time my contractions. They were jumping everywhere from 7 minutes apart to 3 minutes apart. The contractions were getting strong enough there was no way sleep was going to happen. I walked around the house, laid on the couch, tried to go back to bed. I was still in denial that it was the real thing and hadn't woken Mark up yet. Around 4 am he woke up and asked how I was - I told him my contractions were anywhere from 5-3 minutes apart. But I didn't think we needed to go in yet because it was not that painful, I was nervous about showing up to the hospital to just be turned away, especially because I was two weeks early. Luckily Mark was a little more rational and knew we should get ready just in case and my pain tolerance is fairly high so he didn't trust my gauge of pain to tell us to go in - so he got up and got in the shower. I packed a bag ( I hadn't yet, opps) By this time contractions were three minutes apart and getting pretty uncomfortable. Mark gave his sister Heidi a call at about 5am and she came over to stay with Emerson until he woke up. That was the weirdest part for me, leaving the house with a sleeping boy inside, knowing when we came back we would have an extra person.
When we got to the hospital we did the check in, got all strapped up to the monitors and just sat and waited until they told us if we were staying or getting the boot. Being stuck in the bed to the monitors are the worst. I was only at a 3, my water had not broken, but my contractions had been 2-3 minutes apart for over an hour in a half. They told me to walk around for 30 minutes and then come back. That was the worst, we just walked hospital hallways in an awesome hospital gown. came back and made it to a 3.5 so they said we could stay and we finally got to go to our own room. From then on I just progressed really slowly. My doctor stopped by on his way to church, yes we are very much in Mormonville when your doctor shows up in his suit and tie on his way to church to check on you. I had only made it to a 4.5 - so he broke my water. Things started to get much more painful then and I asked for the epidural. The anesthesiologist is only on call during the weekend so they gave him a call and 30 minutes later he showed in his suit and tie because he had been at church. Epidurals are lovely. My epidural with Emerson made my right side completely numb, where I couldn't feel it or move anything on my right side and it was the worst. I told him this so he had my lay on my left side right after to help prevent too much from dripping to my right side again. It worked and I could still feel both feet and move and it was so nice. Once the epidural kicked in I finally got to take a nap, I was exhausted after being awake most the night. I woke up an hour later and felt really uncomfortable and a lot of pressure. We called in the nurse and she came in and had me do a "practice push" but stopped me right away when she realized the baby was right there. This is exactly what happened with Emerson, I dilated very very slowly to a 5, I asked for an epidural and was able to relax and nap and then within an hour was dilated the full 10. Dr. Evans rushed right over and was there in 15 minutes. In one contraction and three pushes later baby Eliza was born.
Mark took Emerson home Sunday night and put him to bed. Layne stayed the night with him so Mark could come back and sleep on his awesome chair bed. Hospitals are the worst for sleeping.
We were up most the night with this dreamy baby girl and all the nurses coming in and out. Since I had been up most the night before I was really ready to be home in my own bed. Once we hit the 24 hour mark we got the all clear and we booked it home.
No comments:
Post a Comment